Like most sites this site uses cookies : By continuing to use our site you are agreeing to our cookie policy.close & accept [x]
Resources Centre / Twins Tips Introduction / Twins Tips / How To Get Funding for Children's Special Needs Buggies
How To Get Funding for Children's Special Needs Buggies

Every day I get asked Can you help me?, I don't know what to do as my child (ren) need a buggy and the NHS can't help / won't fund it / have offered me something that doesn't meet our needs...I don't know where to turn!"

The good news is that in the majority of cases we can help. You may need a single or double special needs buggy, you may have one or two disabled children and/or siblings, you may even have a baby on the way and an older child who's too big for a standard buggy. We are a friendly team who want to help and we do this by talking to you about your needs for the child/children AND your needs as a family.

Don't worry - we will guide you through what mobility equipment is available whether it's a stroller, a 4-wheeled pushchair, an all-terrain buggy or a tilt-in-space pushchair and if you need a single or double buggy, we can advise on options for a second child. We will do our best to find you the most appropriate pushchair for your disabled child and one that will allow you to get out and about with ALL your family.

We will also help by taking you through the process by which you can apply for funding for your children's mobility equipment and we have included a list of some of the organisations that could possibly help you fund mobility equipment for your child. This list is mainly by condition with some general national charities at the end. It is not exhaustive and there are many other charities as well as local or regional organisations that may help you.

And help can come in many forms e.g. St Austell's Brewery in Cornwall, Champney's Hotels and even Radio Stations have funded special needs buggies - so don't just think about those charities you may have heard of...ask around, look in the local paper, communicate with others on general special needs or condition-related forums, use social media (there are lots of support groups on Facebook) and Google to seek out anyone who may be able to help you. We find that local organisations are very willing to fund equipment to help local people and they are generally quicker to make a decision!! We are fortunate to have worked with many fantastic local, regional and National charities and are grateful for all buggies they have funded which has helped to improve the lives of thousands of families.

We also provide advice and equipment to some of the UK's largest charities like Whizz--Kidz and Caudwell Children as well many NHS Wheelchair Services, Primary Care Trusts, Family Support Workers, Occupational Health Therapists and many other people who may be involved with assessing and/or advising parents and carers of disabled children. Outside the home, we have also provided Special Schools with single and double buggies for children with a wide range of disabilities and different ages, allowing them to take more children out and take part in activities which they may not have been able to before.

When applying for funding you will need to provide evidence of your child/children's disability, information on your family circumstances and in some cases, family finances. For evidence supporting your application, ask for a report/letter from health professionals like your child's Occupational Therapist (OT), Physiotherapist or even their GP. Your OT / Wheelchair Service may be able to advise you on the most appropriate condition-specific charity. Below is a list of charities, the majority may be able to provide funding even if you do not have a specific condition.

We hope this gives you some help and guidance in your search, however please CALL US for more advice and support - we have had over 10 years experience in the special needs community and we are here to help you and your family.

Our Helpline Number is 01670 458624 or Email us at:

You can find specialist mobility equipment including buggies, postural supports and seating aids and puhschair accessories in Special Needs

< Back

Back to Resources Centre

Search Twins Tips

Back to Resources Centre

Copyright 2008 Twins International Ltd.